‘De Russy Drive’ makes its Official Debut
The engineer under whose direction Fort Hamilton was built, and whose estate became what’s today referred to as the community of Dyker Heights, was immortalized when local historians and activists joined forces to co−name the road ahead of the Dyker Beach golf links “De Russy Drive” after General Rene E. De Russy (1789−1865).
New York City Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe joined members of the Dyker Heights Civic Association and therefore the Dyker Heights Historical Society, both of which spearheaded the co−naming, for a pomp−filled ceremony at 7th Avenue and 86th Street to mark the achievements of the previous local land baron.
The festivities were a part of a gala celebration for the newly−renovated historic Dyker Beach golf links Clubhouse, sponsored by American Golf in partnership with Parks.
As per the Register’s Office of Kings County, De Russy purchased land from James and Jane Cropsey on July 31, 1827, now a part of block 6278, bound by 11th and 12th avenues between 80th and 81st streets.